Cafe Pettirosso // Capitol Hill // American // Brunch // $$
1101 East Pike Street
Seattle, WA 98122
Paleoness: 4 / 5
Satisfaction: 5 / 5
Tucked away in the heart of Capitol Hill, the cozy Cafe Pettirosso has been around for over 20 years. As a full service cafe and bar, Cafe Pettirosso serves breakfast, lunch, happy hour, dinner, pastries, espresso, cocktails, and they even cater cakes. We have visited Cafe Pettirosso for their weekend brunch a few times, and always leave with our paleo bellies happy and satisfied!
What did you order?
Just a note: Most things come with toast, but you can easily ask for them without.
- Fried Duck Egg on Red Potato Hash (with herbs, wilted greens, aged balsamic and lemon olive oil)
- French Country Breakfast (braised brisket, duck confit, roasted vegetables, greens, potatoes, and a poached egg)
How many ready-made paleo options are on the menu, and what are they?
- Pettirosso Basic (two cage free eggs, chicken andouille sausage, red potato hash)
- Side of Two Cage- Free Eggs
- Side of Red Potato Hash
- Side of Fried Duck Egg
- Side of Hard Boiled Egg
- Seasonal Fruit: With mint, olive oil and aged balsamic vinegar
- Hand-squeezed grapefruit and orange juice
How easy would it be to create paleo options with substitutions? Examples?
It would be super easy! Here are some ideas:
- Red Flannel Hash (red beets, roasted red potato hash, seasonal vegetables and greens; ask for horseradish sauce on the side)
- Kale Salad on Lunch Plate menu: (Lacinato kale, fingerling potatoes, cauliflower, snap peas, cherry tomatoes, red cabbage, Italian dressing. You could get this with dressing on the side, and you also have the option to add chicken for an additional $3)
How accommodating is the staff? Are they knowledgeable about the paleo diet?
The staff is friendly, but we actually didn’t have to ask any questions.
How satisfied were you with the meal?
We were perfectly satisfied. The duck egg on the Fried Duck Egg on Red Potato Hash was warm, gooey and creamy, and the potatoes are full of flavor. The kale on this dish is especially of note—the seasoning made us want an entire bowl of it! The French Country Breakfast is no different—this dish was also packed with flavor, and is juicy and downright delicious.
Would you recommend this restaurant to a paleo friend? Why or why not?
Absolutely! It’s easy to eat here, and the paleo options are definitely tasty.
Could you eat here enjoyably without telling anyone you’re paleo? (Not that you’d want to!)
Yep! We did.