Manolin // Fremont // American // Dinner // $$$
3621 Stone Way N Seattle, WA 98103
Paleoness: 4 / 5
Satisfaction: 5 / 5
We can’t say enough good things about this trendy Fremont spot. The vibe is cool yet not exclusive, haute yet not overwrought. Even if their menu wasn’t 80% paleo-friendly, you’d have no problem adjusting it thanks to their outstanding staff.
What did you order?
- Plantain Chips (salt, pepper and lime)
- White Prawns (turnip, dill and turmeric)
- Grilled Beef (potato, radish, lardo and colatura)
- Summer Vegetable Slaw (herbs and spicy almonds)
- Rockfish Ceviche (avocado, sweet potato, lime and chili)
- Jimmy Nardello Peppers (hazelnut, cantaloupe and burrata); we ordered the burrata on the side
- Westhaven Cocktail (mezcal, apple, lemon, spiced honey, apple bitters)
- Celery Seltzer virgin cocktail (celery seltzer, lime)
How many ready-made paleo options are on the menu, and what are they?
In addition to what we ordered, paleo eaters could also order:
- Ceviche Mixto (cherry tomato, basil, and cashew)
- White Anchovy (beets, avocado, coconut, pimenton)
Keep in mind that the menu rotates frequently, so options may differ during your visit.
How easy would it be to create paleo options with substitutions? Examples?
Very easy. For one thing, the staff rocks (see below). A few tweak-able dishes:
- Smoked Arctic Char (turnip, sour cream, mustard and chive); omit the sour cream
- Tea Poached Squid (crispy quinoa, lotus and jalapeno); omit quinoa
How accommodating is the staff? Are they knowledgeable about the paleo diet?
Our waiter was amazing! He was patient, friendly and knowledgeable about the menu and ingredients. Only once was he unsure how to answer a question, but he quickly asked the chef and reported back. It was after asking about multiple modifications and ingredients that we let him know we were paleo, and once we did, he seemed to totally “get it.”
How satisfied were you with the meal?
Very satisfied. Each plate was not only creative and unique, but well balanced and a joy to eat. Many of the flavor and texture combinations were new to us, which made for an exciting and memorable meal. (Grace still can’t stop thinking about it.) Here’s what we thought of individual menu items:
- Plantain Chips: very thin and perfectly fried; not overly salted; best we’ve ever had!
- White Prawns: perfectly cooked and not rubbery; the chipotle aioli was outstanding; the fried and seasoned prawn shells appear on the dish, which freaked us out until we tasted them
- Grilled Beef: potatoes were sweet and dessert-like due to a subtly sweet salted caramel sauce; roasted radishes were juicy and crunchy and added a nice bitter note
- Summer Vegetable Slaw: full of flavor; excellent textural balance between the crunchy roasted almonds and thin-sliced vegetables; dressing struck a perfect balance of acidity and creaminess
- Rockfish Ceviche: tangy, punchy flavor; almost too acidic, but avocado cooled it down; incredible mix of textures; shoestring sweet potatoes were delightfully crunchy alongside the juicy fish
- Jimmy Nardello Peppers: flavors didn’t stand out compared to our other dishes; overall not very impressive; the combination of cantaloupe and roasted pepper fell flat
- Westhaven Cocktail : made with 100% agave; apple bitters had no sugar; flavor was mild; subtly sweet and not overpowering
- Celery Seltzer virgin cocktail: sweeter than we expected – in a good way; celery flavor was mild, refreshing and very enjoyable
Would you recommend this restaurant to a paleo friend? Why or why not?
Absolutely. It was delicious, quality food with excellent service. From the cocktails to the appetizers, paleo peeps won’t feel one bit deprived navigating this menu.
Could you eat here enjoyably without telling anyone you’re paleo? (Not that you’d want to!)
Sure! But we doubt the staff would skip a beat if you did.
It’s good to note that they don’t accept reservations. When we arrived, they said it would be a 1½- to 2-hour wait. We weren’t starving so we decided to wait it out in their fire-side outdoor seating area, where they serve drinks and plantain chips (score!). As luck would have it, they were able to seat us in 45 minutes!
Happy hour is 4 to 6pm daily and features $2 off all fish group items, $2 off house cocktails, $1 off draft beers, and $1 off alvarinho by the glass.
They also garnered a well-deserved nod as one of America’s best new restaurants by Bon Appetit in 2015.
This is a menu of small plates, which creates a very interactive dining experience.